A delightfully rural parish

About Brewham

A snapshot of the parish

Brewham extends to some 23 km², making it the second largest of the 121 parishes in South Somerset

1358713414

The name, which has evolved down the centuries from Briweham to Bruham to Brewham, is derived from the Celtic river name meaning ‘brisk’ and the Old English ‘ham’ meaning ‘homestead or enclosure’. more history

3743831_orig

The area has a diverse geology and topography. This has resulted in an undulating landscape of mainly farmland and woodland at the head of the valley of the River Brue, below the wooded Wiltshire boundary.

29483

The definitive rights of way map shows 33 footpaths in Brewham totalling a little over 34 miles together with a mile of bridleways.

1358789026

Within the parish are sites of wildlife value including nationally-important Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs). Areas of unimproved grasslands are botanically rich and support many species of insects and birds.

6477360_orig

Brewham has two traditional Public Houses

1358712912

The Parish Church has stood on the southern slope of the Brue valley since the 12th century if not earlier, and much of the present building dates from the late 15th century. Records show that it had been dedicated to St John the Baptist by 1496.

7381129

Brewham Village Hall was, until 1965, the village school. It is maintained and run by a voluntary committee which organises various events including the annual village show, rummage sales, socials and entertainments. More on the village hall

4377503_orig

Brewham has 47 buildings of special, architectural or historic interest ranging from a 16th century tithe barn to the imposing Alfred’s Tower high up on the eastern edge of the parish.

6664683

Although it covers a large area, Brewham’s current population is only about 435. In 1086, at the time of the Domesday Book, the population was a little less than one hundred. By 1831 it had risen to 995, subsequently declining to 378 by 1931./’

5032546_orig

Brewham Show – Brewham’s annual fruit, flower and vegetable show is organised by the village hall committee and held in August. Cookery, handicrafts and home-made wines are included, and there are special classes for children’s entries. The show ends with an auction of produce.